It's no secret that eCommerce fulfillment can be challenging during peak season. Not only do customers go crazy over holiday sales, but they also make the "Buy Now" button their best friend. But what most don't know is that with every click of that button, an eCommerce merchant's heart skips a beat.
Last-minute shoppers and free shipping promos can easily overwhelm any fulfillment center - no matter how big or well-staffed they are. As a result, many eCommerce businesses struggle to keep up with customer demand, ultimately leading to disappointed customers and lost sales. In fact, a recent study by Ware2Go found that nearly 60% of retailers surveyed felt unprepared for holiday sales.
So how can you keep up with the demand? How can you ensure that your customers receive their orders on time - without breaking the bank? Here are a few tips to help you scale eCommerce fulfillment during peak season:
What Ecommerce Owners Can Do To Increase Sales During Peak Season.
By the end of 2021, eCommerce sales accounted for almost 22% of all retail sales worldwide. Additionally, this holiday season is predicted to be the busiest ever for eCommerce, with online sales expected to grow by as much as 50% over last year.
As an eCommerce business owner, it's important to be prepared for the influx of orders. Here are a few things you can do to increase sales and make sure your customers have a positive experience:
- Plan Ahead - This may seem like a no-brainer, but it's essential to start planning for peak season well in advance. Review your sales data from previous years to get a better idea of when you can expect a surge in orders. This will help you staff accordingly and have the necessary inventory on hand.
- Offer Incentives for Early Shoppers - To avoid the last-minute rush, offer incentives for shoppers who buy early. This could be in the form of a discount or free shipping. This will encourage customers to shop sooner, giving you more time to fulfill their orders. Plus, it'll help you avoid the holiday shipping rush.
- Delegate, Delegate, Delegate - As the saying goes, "There's only so much one person can do." Don't try to do everything yourself during peak season - delegate tasks to your employees or outsource to a 3PL. This will help you stay sane and avoid burnout.
- Offer Customer Promos - One way to increase sales during peak season is to increase customer loyalty with promos and discounts. This will entice customers to shop with you again in the future. A study by Invesp found that nearly 40% of customers are more likely to shop with a retailer again if they receive a coupon or discount.
- Planning for the Unexpected - Despite your best efforts, things can go wrong during peak season. It's important to have a plan in place for when (not if) things go wrong. This could include having extra inventory on hand in case of a sudden surge in orders or partnering with a 3PL to help you with last-minute orders.
- Consulting with Supply Chain Experts - When in doubt, always consult with those who know best. There are plenty of supply chain experts out there who can help you optimize your fulfillment process - ensuring that your customers receive their orders on time, every time.
- Partner with a 3PL - If you're really struggling to keep up with fulfillment, partnering with a third-party logistics (3PL) provider can be a lifesaver. 3PLs have the staff and resources necessary to handle large volumes of orders - meaning you can focus on other aspects of your business. Different studies have shown this is one of the best strategies for scaling during peak season.
Benefits of Using 3PL logistics providers For Ecommerce Fulfillment.
Working with 3PL shipping companies has many benefits for eCommerce retailers, especially during peak season. Here are a few reasons why you should consider outsourcing fulfillment:
- Save Time - Perhaps the most obvious benefit of outsourcing is that it saves you time. Fulfillment is a time-consuming process, and by outsourcing to a 3PL, you can free up your time to focus on other aspects of your business.
- Cut On Shipping Cost - Shipping can be one of the biggest expenses for eCommerce businesses. But by working with a 3PL, you can take advantage of their negotiated rates with shipping carriers. This can help you save on shipping costs - both during peak season and throughout the year.
- Increasing Customer Satisfaction - When you outsource fulfillment to a 3PL, you can take advantage of their expertise in shipping and logistics. This means your orders will be fulfilled quickly and accurately - leading to happy customers.
- They Have The Right Technology - 3PL shipping companies have some of the best 3PL software solutions and technology in the business. And this is one reason why they can fulfill orders so quickly and accurately- something that's critical during peak season. By outsourcing to a 3PL, you can take advantage of their technology and shipping expertise.
Online businesses can benefit right now from partnering with Rakuten Super Logistics (RSL) before the holiday season starts. With our 1-2 day ground delivery network, 100% Flawless or Free order accuracy guarantee, and our revolutionary shipping solution: Xparcel, to get the lowest shipping costs.
Using 3PL Shipping Solutions to Fulfill Orders
eCommerce businesses can scale their business by partnering with a trusted 3PL who handles the shipping and order fulfillment piece of their business to give them more time and focus for business growth beyond peak season.
If you need any help fulfilling your orders this season or in the future, reach out to us, and we'll be more than happy to help!